Hot Air

Rationalizing The Irrational

So, now it’s four days out. Four spins around the axis since L’il Duce‘s orange-tinged mushroom cloud blotted out the political, cultural, societal, and moral sun.

Four days since I wrote, “America, you disgust me.”

Make no mistake: I’m still disgusted.

To borrow a couple of terms from Lazy Journalism 101, I’m A) Reeling and B) Still Trying To Make Sense Of It All.

The red wine has flowed freely in and around Chez Big Mike et La Personne Aimée.

I’ve cast around madly for reasons. The wits and wags online and on dead-tree media are doing the same and, as usual, are missing the mark by a country mile.

[Note to loyal Pencillistas: The following list was edited Sunday, November 13.]

As a public service, I’m offering my Three Four Reasons we will be gagging on the phrase President Donald J. Trump for the next four years (or at least until he gets bored and turns the keys to the White House over to his coatholder, Mike Pence — at which point the gagging continues unabated).

1. America loves wealth and the wealthy. Adores them. Idolizes them. Puts them on a pedestal right up there with mom, apple pie, the flag, and young women with big breasts. The wealthy are revered here even if they did nothing particularly beneficial to humankind to earn their billions. Perhaps especially if they did nothing in particular to benefit humankind, as in the case of L’il Duce. Simply falling into great riches, America believes, is a sure sign that almighty god has smiled upon the pinstripe-suited ape who did the falling.
  2. A certain percentage of Americans, not near a majority but enough when added to other demographics, are so terrified of growing old and dying and subsequently ceding their precious holy land to the young, the dark-skinned, the foreign, the same-sex-loving, and the opposite-sex-loving females that they’d have voted for the reanimated corpse of — yes, I’ll say it — A. Hitler as long as he’d promise to build a wall to protect them from those onrushing hordes.
  3. One vitally important factor in L’il Duce’s triumph is never really discussed and that’s this: Tens of millions of people voted for him because he was a TV star. That’s it. Put your slide rules away, sociologists. Turn off your scanning electron microscopes, cultural anthropologists. And pack up your Smith-Coronas, all you wits and wags. The reality television-addicted populace knew L’il Duce as the star of The Apprentice and that was good enough for them. TV — or the movies — makes anything real to most folks. Had George C. Scott opted to run for president in 1972, the only reason he wouldn’t have won would have been because a huge swath of America would have written in “Patton,” instead. In The Apprentice, our new president played “himself.”
  4. The depth and breadth of hatred for Hillary Clinton is as powerful as either of the preceding two bullet points. I was astounded to realize how toxic the odium is for a woman who, in reality, is nothing more than a run-of-the-mill establishmentarian. She represents the American status quo as much as any human being in the nation. Electing Hillary Clinton president after either a mildly left Democrat or a mildly right Republican would have been the equivalent of switching from Wonder Bread to Pepperidge Farm. Yet, the same people who drooled over Sarah Palin in 2008 –proving they’re amenable to a president with a vagina — reacted as though the aforementioned A. Hitler had donned lipstick, a highlighted blond wig and a pantsuit.

screen-shot-2016-11-12-at-8-23-51-am

America’s Choice

My pal Susan Sandberg wrote the other day that she feels she’s now a woman without a country. She offers that observation as though it’s something she should grieve over. It ain’t.

Me? I’m proud to consider myself un-American now.

6 thoughts on “Hot Air

1. Susan Sandberg says:

Still grieving the loss of my country that so disregards the rights of women (and a host of others), but I will happily join the ranks of the resistance. We now have to fight the powers that be.

2. Susan Sandberg says:

I will continue to grieve the loss of my country that so disregards the rights of women (and a host of others), but I will happily join the ranks of the resistance. We gotta fight the powers that be. I’ve marched on Washington before, looks like we’ll be doing it all over again.

3. cogmission says:

> I’m proud to consider myself un-American now.

Funny, if you don’t they’ll probably dredge John Ashcroft (remember him?) to declare that you are not a Patriot!

4. Frederick Luehring says:

I suggest that we as people who believe in an inclusive, open society channel our angst into voter registration of the unfairly disenfranchised. I think that blue Bloomington (blue US) should pool our financial and intellectual resources to make sure that 1) everyone who is eligible to vote is registered, 2) that they are not unfairly removed from the voting rolls, and 3) that they vote. My wife and I are considering spending $20,000 a year on supporting such an ethical organization that does this. I think this will all demographics to become destiny. What does Mr Glab Writer think about that idea? If the Cubs can win the World Series how hard can it be to insure that people with the legal right to vote are allow to and do vote?

5. cogmission says:

@Frederick I’m really impressed with your resolve, and I agree that the _potential_ for fairness in voting does in fact exist.

But I also think that the reason we have voter suppression is because of corrupt intention. If the intention is to constrain voters then no amount of money contributed to the situation will matter? It would seem that we first have to remove the vulnerability to cheating first, before we can then increase voter participation?

• Frederick Luehring says:

I respectfully disagree. I am originally from Chicago and every precinct had a precinct captain who worked for the machine. On the northside the Independent Precinct Organization with volunteers matched that structure and was able to make inroads against the shenanigans and elect liberal reform aldermen. Similarly almost no black person could vote in the solid south before the Civil Rights Act of 1964 which was paid for in blood. We are now in a situation where there is backsliding on voting rights. Identifying legally eligible voters, keeping them eligible, and getting them to vote is the key. The only thing I have seen that works in the precinct captain approach of having people monitoring each jurisdiction. This is essentially what Organizing for America did to elect President Obama twice.